Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: My first Altecs - 604-8H

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member Toph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 27th, 2014
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool My first Altecs - 604-8H

    hey guys!

    I bought my first set of Altecs!

    They are 604-8H's w/original crossovers in what I believe are custom cabinets.

    One of the high frequency diaphragm's is not functional, due to the common broken 90 degree lead.

    I am sending them in to Great Plains to get new diaphragms installed and have the magnets re-charged.

    I am very excited to hear these and pit them against my 3-way JBLs (d140r, 375, 2403).
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    My first Altecs - 604-8H


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    thats really nice. we should be hearing a review from you pretty soon.
    maybe i'll have a pair someday
    Sonic Barbarian

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member dbale's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2007
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Good choice for your first Altecs.


    Get the center of the horn up to ear level for the best sound.

  4. #4
    Junior Hostboard Member Toph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 27th, 2014
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Quote Originally Posted by dbale View Post
    Good choice for your first Altecs.


    Get the center of the horn up to ear level for the best sound.

    Thanks! they're upside down in that photo because the bottoms have metal mounts that would've scratched my floors.

    I've been looking into the Stonehenge V cabinets. the Black cabinets are far too ugly, and it would be nice to get them up even higher

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Great start in Altec land! Thoise cabs look like they're 612's.... I might be wrong though.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post
    Thoise cabs look like they're 612's.... I might be wrong though.
    Or right, they look like either early Lansing 612 or copies, but have no access to the drawing to post to compare to.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    HB Super Moderator
    My first Altecs - 604-8H


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    Thanks! they're upside down in that photo because the bottoms have metal mounts that would've scratched my floors.

    I've been looking into the Stonehenge V cabinets. the Black cabinets are far too ugly, and it would be nice to get them up even higher
    Yup those 604's deserve much better cabinets than those there ! They look like homebrew cabs.. I would put them in a Stonehenge 5 or a 620.. To get the best bass out of those drivers, they need some volume.

  8. #8
    Junior Hostboard Member Toph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 27th, 2014
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    1 packed, 1 to go!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    hey guys!

    I bought my first set of Altecs!

    They are 604-8H's w/original crossovers in what I believe are custom cabinets.

    One of the high frequency diaphragm's is not functional, due to the common broken 90 degree lead.

    I am sending them in to Great Plains to get new diaphragms installed and have the magnets re-charged.

    I am very excited to hear these and pit them against my 3-way JBLs (d140r, 375, 2403).
    I'd recommend removing the existing diaphragms before sending those 604's into GPA ( it's unlikely your original diaphragms will be automatically returned to you if that's an expectation of yours ) .

    If the existing diaphragms are 23744 ( "lights" ) or even 35480 ( newer lights ?) they should still have resale value on eBay . There are people who will pay decent money for 23744 diaphragms ( even the one that needs fixing at the lead-in bend ) .


  10. #10
    HB Super Moderator
    My first Altecs - 604-8H


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Very Nice that's how I packed mine when I sold them last year.They arrived in perfect condition.I used like 7-8 layers of polystyrene around the magnets to help keep them centered in the box.

    1original

    2original

    3original

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.